The major point of argument between left-wing and right-wing politicians is the inequality problem. The terms “left” and “right” originally referred to the respective seats in the French assembly that politicians used to occupy at the end of the 18th century. Right-wingers and left-wingers are different in many respects and we will explore some of those differences.
Left-wing politics aims to confront social inequality and to provide as much governmental control over economics and social processes in society as possible. Left-wing politics in general takes care of groups and individuals in society that do not do too well or are being oppressed.
Right-wing politics in general can be defined as politics that puts the individual’s rights before everything else, thus minimizing the role of the government in politics. Right-wing politicians push for a market regulated economy as opposed to a government regulated economy. Being predominantly conservative, right-wing politics supports traditional institutions of a given country, such as religion and marriage.
|Left-wing politics||Right-wing politics|
|Government-regulated economy||Free economy|
|Free education for all||Education for the privileged|
|Support immigrants||Do not support immigrants|
|Support gun control||Against gun control|
|Support universal healthcare||Against universal healthcare|
Left-wing vs Right-wing politics
What is the difference between Left and Right Wing Politics? Let’s compare them by general approach to the economy of the country, by their views on education, immigration, gun control and state healthcare.
- Right-wing politics supports capitalism and the free market while left-wing politics strives for governmental control over the economy.
- Right-wing politics suggests that education should be paid for, in particular at its higher levels. Left-wing politics aims to make education free for every citizen of the state.
- Left-wing politics supports immigration into the country, while right-wing politics makes it hard for immigrants to become legal citizens.
- In the United States, right-wing politicians are generally against gun control, while left-wing politicians are trying to impose gun control.
- As far as healthcare is concerned, left-wing politics suggests that healthcare should be universal and that citizens are entitled to basically free healthcare. Right-wing politics is against universal healthcare and aims for paid healthcare.
With the help of this video you can grasp some of the differences between Left-wing politics and Right-wing politics: