Waffles and pancakes have long been delicious meals popular in many countries. Though they look and taste similar, there are differences between the two, and we will examine them in the following article.
A waffle is made from a batter that is usually cooked between iron plates. There are many versions of waffles that are distinguished by the type of waffle iron used in cooking them. Waffles are thought to originate in Belgium, where there are as many variations of them as there regions in the country.
An easy homemade waffles recipe:
- 2 cups all—purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 2 cups milk
- Take a big bowl filled with all-purpose flour. Add baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly. While stirring, create a “well” in the center. This is for the further smoother combination of wet and dry ingredients.
- Add to the “well” beaten egg, vanilla, and milk. You can also use a combination of buttermilk and regular milk for a special taste. Stir the dry and wet components thoroughly so the mixture looks smooth.
- Add oil. You can use any type of oil: flavored, vegetable, or sunflower. Stir again carefully, until the oil is incorporated into the waffle mixture.
- Preheat a waffle iron. Using a measuring cup, scoop the mixture onto the iron.
- Turn on the waffle iron. When the waffles are ready, remove them with a fork. Serve them whichever way you prefer.
A pancake is a flat, thin cake made from batter. It normally contains eggs and milk and is cooked on a hot skillet. Pancakes are served at any time, although in the United States they are considered a breakfast meal. Pancakes are usually served with various toppings, such as fruit, chocolate, bacon, maple syrup or cream.
An easy pancakes recipe:
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Put all-purpose flour in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend it all together.
- Pour in a cup of milk. Add 1 beaten egg, and 2 tablespoons of oil. Mix the batter until it is smooth.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium high heat. Oil the pan lightly.
- Pour or scoop the butter onto the griddle. Use approximately a quarter cup of batter for each pancake.
- When you see that the edges of the pancake are brown and small bubbles are formed in the center of the pancake, flip it over.
- Add honey, syrup, cream, or any other preferred topping.
- In order to be made properly, waffles require a waffle iron. Pancakes, on the other hand, do not require any special cooking equipment. Anybody can make pancakes using a simple skillet.
- The raw batter is thinner when making waffles. For pancakes, on the other hand, the raw batter is thicker.
- Waffles have a distinctly crisp exterior, while pancakes have a soft one.
- Waffles contain more fat than pancakes, because of the greater amount of oil used in making them.
- One waffle is usually lighter than one pancake, because of the amount of batter used.
|Require waffle iron||Do not require special cooking equipment|
|Raw mixture is thinner||Raw mixture is thicker|
|Have a crisp exterior||Have a soft exterior|
|Contain more fat||Contain less fat|
|Are lighter||Are heavier|